Monday, September 22, 2014

The Magic of Mongolia

Monday, widely agreed to be the worst day of the week, regardless of what hemisphere you happen to live in. My workweek started with frigid temperatures and a bruise on my shoulder from sleeping on a clasp of my sleeping bag all night. Not an inspiring beginning. Knowing myself as well as I do, I always set my alarm for 30 minutes earlier than I actually want to get out of bed because it takes me about that long to convince myself that the entire effort is worth it. Today, it took me closer to 40 minutes to reach the conclusion that I had to get up and go about attending to my responsibilities. Even then, it was a masterful effort of will to stumble out of my sleeping bag and dress for work. Because it is only the beginning of the cold season, the only fuel I currently have for my fire is dried dung (no, it doesn’t smell). Dung burns quickly and quite warmly but unless I’m willing to get up multiple times in the night – spoiler: I’m not! – the morning finds my fire dead and my ger cold. A sad but inevitable truth until my winter fuel comes in. Today, due to my hesitation to get out of bed, I didn’t even bother trying to make a fire and instead warmed myself with a cup of instant coffee. (If you missed my description of that particular experience, kindly refer to the previous post.) While not a particularly fulfilling breakfast, it served its main purpose of restoring some warmth and I was able to feel my fingers enough to serve Motzaa her breakfast and find clothes to wear. My initial plans for attire were foiled by the ever-disappearing shirt that apparently takes nightly vacations to Narnia so instead of the black slacks and black turtleneck I’d planned on wearing, I settled on a black dress and sweater. No, I did not intentionally greet Monday with mourning attire but it seems, retrospectively, fitting. With clothes on, make-up applied (because Heavens help me if I should show my face at school without it!) and hair tamed I was ready to go when my khashaa sisters, Nanda and Nanda, (I’m not joking. Their names are Nandantsetseg –which means “precious flower” - and Nandanchimeg – which means “precious ornament” - and they both go by Nanda as a short name!) came to my ger to walk with me to school. This has been a morning ritual since the first day of school and I would find it much more adorable if they didn’t insist upon leaving the khashaa 20-25 minutes before we have to be at the school which is, if we walk very, very slowly, a 10 minute walk from our khashaa. Now, arriving at work 10-15 minutes early sounds like a good thing, I know, but sometimes that extra 10 minutes is the difference between a cup of coffee and a cookie or nothing. Today, however, the coffee at least was accomplished.

Now, I have to admit that I made a very rookie mistake when leaving my ger this morning. I was cold, even in my sweater and I was considering wearing a coat on top of it but when Nanda2 came to get me, they were wearing light track-suit jackets over their uniforms so I assumed that, once I got out in the sun, it would be fine. What I did not take into account was the ability of the teenager to ignore the cold in favor of fashion (or, more often in my case when I was that age, stubbornness).By the time I reached the school, my hands were numb and even sticking them under my arms wasn’t enough warm them. So, I spent the morning with fumbling fingers and I had no one to blame but myself. I am currently wearing gloves and I am not ashamed to admit it!

Because I don’t have a 1st hour class on Mondays, I spent the time in the teacher’s room which somehow manages to be ten degrees colder than the rest of the school but, today, was at least warmer than the outside. 2nd hour is dedicated to my 6th grade class that I teach with my main CP, for the purpose of this blog I will call her Y. Now, Y knows (or, at least, I’ve tried to explain) that I am not supposed to solo-teach her classes. I’m here to supplement her lessons, help her improve her English and give her new ideas for engaging students. She also knows that if we don’t lesson plan together, she’s supposed to teach that class herself while I observe. Today, she apparently decided that she didn’t know either of those things and, after greeting the students and taking attendance, promptly handed me the book to the appropriate page and said, “Okay, teach.”

Those of you who know me well can probably imagine the look that wanted to be on my face. A look that might be translated as “B* says what?” However, I am pleased to say that I have managed to school my expressions enough that I was able to give her a blank face, look down at the page and, with a deep breath, proceed to teach the students family vocabulary and how to ask about family members. The lesson went well, the students participated admirably and Y sat in the back doing paperwork. At the conclusion of the lesson, Y gave the students their homework while I took discrete, calming breaths behind her back.

This is not the first time I have experienced this issue with a CP and I know it will not be the last but it was particularly frustrating today because I’d thought we’d made some progress last week. Apparently, I was mistaken and will have to try to find another way to explain myself. Not an easy endeavor since she speaks about as much English as I do Mongolian. Behold the joys of small soum living.

My next lesson for the day was with my other CP who shall be known as T. T is, primarily, a Russian teacher but she is teaching half of the 7th and 9th grade classes this year. Because she is not a trained English teacher, her English is all but non-existent which (if you’re keeping score at home) means that there really isn’t anyone in my soum that I can carry on a conversation with in English that involves questions with more complicated answers than “yes/no”. This is both a blessing and a curse. It means that my Mongolian’s going to be damn good by the time I’m out of here and it means that there is a lot of room for me to help my CP’s improve. I really am looking forward to that but right now, while we’re trying to figure out the ground rules and what my role here is going to be, it’s more than a little frustrating.

Speaking of frustrating. My 3rd hour is with half of the 9th grade class. This is the same 9th grade class that, as a whole, had a 69% rate of failure on their first test. Being the benevolent teachers that we are, we rewrote the test and – after reviewing the tricky parts with the classes – gave them the opportunity to score better. That retake was supposed to be today for T’s students. However, because the woman at the school who controls the copy machine was AWOL, T spent 35 minutes of the 40-minute period trying to find her and copy the test. I was left with squirrelly 9th graders who know that I don’t have enough Mongolian to properly police them. What they didn’t realize, however, was that scary “you will obey me” rage transcends language. With my very basic understanding of classroom commands, I had them sitting as far from each other as possible and reading their textbooks for at least half of the class. This minor success was, however, not enough to cool my annoyance at the exceptionally poor planning of the day. And this was not the first time that I have been left alone, suddenly, to deal with this particular class. But wait, the amusement was not yet over!

Immediately following 9th grade is T’s half of 7th grade. Now, I will be discussing how my lesson planning with T goes in a moment (and how lesson planning with Y goes later) but let me first detail how lesson planning should go. Ideally, when a Peace Corps Volunteer and their CP lesson plan, it is a collaborative effort where the CP lets the PCV know what the students need to know according to the Ministry of Education and the PCV helps the CP come up with interesting and engaging ways to deliver that information to students. Now, let me tell you how lesson planning with T goes: Put simply, it doesn’t. Once, exactly once, I lesson planned when T was in the room and that was the extent of our lesson planning together. Unfortunately, I have not yet gotten a chance to corner her and try to discuss the issue with her. Tomorrow, however, she won’t be able to avoid me in the afternoon so hopefully we can come to an understanding.

Anyway, in a move that’s become far too familiar to me, T greets the students, writes the date on the board and then hands the book to me and says, “Okay, teach.” My patience isn’t infinite. First, Y springs a surprise lesson on me, then T abandons me to the hyper class from Hades and now T is trying to spring a surprise lesson on me too?! And both the surprise lessons are on entirely new units that I haven’t even looked over since no one’s given me any of the English books?! The image of me throwing the book to the floor, uttering an incredulous curse and storming from the classroom with a shout of “Good day, Madam! I said, good day!” flashed through my mind and brought me no small amount of satisfaction. However, I settled with giving her a blank face, looking down at the book with a deep breath and then proceeding to teach the class about conjugating verbs in the present continuous tense. The lesson went fairly well, I got the students out of their seats and acting out the verbs with varying degrees of enthusiasm which is always fun (for me at least).

Then, morning classes were over and I scurried home before I had a chance to so much as glare at Y or T. Lunch consisted of a fried egg scramble with sausage and cucumber and a glass of orange juice which actually tasted like real orange juice instead of the tang-esque stuff that I’d been finding. Joy abounds! After lunch and a brief pause to check facebook and email, I went back to school to meet with Y. Now, lesson planning with Y always starts promisingly. We’re both in the same room, she lets me know what lesson we should be teaching and then my dreams of a cooperative lesson planning session are crushed when she hands pieces of paper to me and says, “Okay, write.” Today was no different. Our last class of the day is the 5th grade class so I started with them and planned a quick lesson to teach them basic family vocabulary. Then, we moved on to tomorrow’s classes and I planned them as well. After I wrote each one, I would tell her what I wrote and what materials she needed to prepare and then I’d move on to the next. This is how lesson planning has gone with Y since day one and, honestly, I’m not even upset about it. At least not today. Today, I was just tired. So, I planned and she took the plans and then we went to the 5th grade class and I taught what I planned with a little translation from Y and by the time we were done I just wanted to go home, have some tea and maybe watch Lord of the Rings because Middle Earth is my happy place.

However, Y had other plans. About a week ago, she asked me what my hobbies were and, among other things, I mentioned that I like to paint. Well, Mongolians have a deep love of the arts and she insisted on seeing pictures of my work and I obliged. Like many artists, I both love and abhor showing my work; the desire for praise is often overshadowed by the fear of disdain but Y was a good audience and she even asked me to paint a portrait of her and her baby. I agreed and today, she decided, was the day for me to take photos so I could paint her over the week. So, I went to her mother’s ger where her baby stays during the day and was immediately greeted by Y’s niece and three little cousins as well as Y’s mother and incredibly (and adorably) fat little baby. They sat me down, gave me milk tea and cookies and I took a few reference photos of Y and baby. Then, they gave me a bag of apples and oranges (and an avocado!) that Y’s husband had brought from UB and then Y gave me a smaller bag of dried fruit and Y’s mother told me that she’d be giving me horse meat soon because one of her sons was bringing some by and that I should stop by for dinner again soon and by the time I left that warm, full ger I couldn’t quite remember why I’d been so tired and cranky when I entered it. 


That, my friends, is the magic of Mongolia. More than the endless skies or the rolling landscapes or vibrant history. More than the gers and the camels and the reindeer and the sub-zero temperatures. The people of Mongolia, their hospitality, their friendliness and their utter lack of malice can do more to lift the spirit than a strong cup of coffee on a winter morning. Sometimes, my CPs drive me up the wall, sometimes I just want my khashaa sisters to leave me the hell alone, sometimes I want my coworkers to realize that giggling every time I speak to them in Mongolian is not good for morale! But then, someone gives me a cup of milk tea or asks me if I need help with anything or if I’d like to come visit their family in the countryside and all those things that annoy me suddenly seem so much less important. I feel so fortunate to be in a community that legitimately wants me here and is excited to have my help and information. Yes, it’s going to be a difficult road and the language barrier is going to be one hell of a roadblock but even after the general frustration of the day I was able to return to my cold ger with a bag of fruit in hand and think, “Hey, it could be worse and I can make it even better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment